We just love our butcher here in Berkshire … He hooked me up with some pork skin, so I did the obvious thing … I made pork scratchings. Be sure to use a very sharp knife and work carefully when you slide away the fat. The macros are tricky to calculate, since everyone removes different amounts of fat, but the carbs remain zero whichever way you like your porkies…
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 0g | Fat 9.2g | Protein 9.6g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Fats of Life® is a blog I run as a hobby. I love spending time on it, but did you know that I am also the author of two best-selling cookbooks? KETO KITCHEN (2020) and LAZY KETO KITCHEN (2021) – both available worldwide and very well-priced. I have a third book on the way: BUDGET KETO KITCHEN, (coming mid-2022).
Perhaps its time to start building up your Keto Kitchen collection if you have not already done so. Not only will my books make beautiful Christmas stocking fillers for loved ones interested in a low carb lifestyle, but you could simply treat YOURSELF! Your family (whether they live keto or not) will not be disappointed with all your exciting, delicious creations!
“Take a peak in My Keto Pantry, which shows the preferred brands of ‘special’ ingredients I use. Be sure to also sign up to my newsletter where I send a monthly recap (ensuring you never miss a new recipe!)” – Monya
Homemade Pork Scratchings (Keto)
- 1 large sheet pork skin, (ask your butcher)
- Preheat the oven to its lowest setting.
- Use a very sharp knife to remove as much fat as possible from the skin. Use gloves for a better grip and always slice away from you. (You can leave a small layer of fat, but I prefer it with little or no fat at all and when I was done, I was left with a very thin layer of skin which was practically transparent). I also hope you are using a raw meat preparation board which is good kitchen practice.
- Pat dry with kitchen paper and slice into pieces approx. 1 x 5cm in size. Scatter salt evenly over the pieces and place on a grill or cooling rack set over a tray. Place in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove the tray from the oven and transfer the pieces onto a clean tray. Crank up the oven to MAX. Once at temperature, place the tray into the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes – you will see them swell and pop.
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool completely before storing in a sealed container.
I find I get maximum PUFF when I remove as much fat as possible - but that is entirely up to you!
A new-and-improved version of this delicious recipe features in my cookbook KETO KITCHEN.
For those on INSTAGRAM, tag me @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Keep scrolling: you can PIN this recipe for later, see detailed macros and browse other recipes in this category. You can also drop me a comment if you have any questions about this recipe. I will do my best to reply as quickly as possible. Monya xxx
FOR READERS OUTSIDE THE UK: Missing anything you might need? The links on this website are directed at the UK market and show the products I use here. However, you can get everything you might need from Amazon.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories 121Kcal / 506kJ
See all the Keto Snacks & Fat Bombs on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macros calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.