This sensational salmon & avocado salad boosts a combination of flavours and textures that make every mouthful perfect harmony! Small details like toasting the pumpkin seeds beforehand, quick-pickling the thinly-sliced red onions and using toasted sesame oil makes this salad sensational. I used equal amounts of watercress and pea shoots as I find watercress can be a slightly dominating flavour for this salad. If, however, you love the idea of smoked salmon, check out my Best-ever Smoked Salmon Salad on this site.
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 5.1g | Fat 47g | Protein 27g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Fats of Life® is a blog that I run as a hobby, but did you know that I am also the author of two cookbooks? My first book Keto Kitchen (published by Kyle Books in 2020) is available worldwide (and has remained one of the best-selling low carb cookbooks in the UK). My second book Lazy Keto Kitchen (coming mid-year, 2021) is currently available to pre-order.
“I want you to achieve the best outcome with all the recipes on Fats of Life. If you haven’t already done so, please read the RECIPE SUCCESS page which is packed with handy tips and advice. Happy Cooking, everyone!” – Monya
Salmon & Avocado Salad with Quick-pickled Onions
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 TB red wine vinegar
- 30 g (1.1 oz) pumpkin seeds
- 1 TB unflavoured coconut oil
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 lime, halved
- 30 g (1.1 oz) pea shoots
- 30 g (1.1 oz) watercress
- small handful coriander leaves
- small handful small mint leaves
- 1 TB toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 25 g (0.9 oz) full-fat feta cheese
- Place the thin slices of red onion into a little bowl and pour over the red wine vinegar. Toss gently to coat and set aside.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a hot, dry pan. Remove the seeds and set aside to cool.
- Using the same pan, heat the coconut oil and grill the salmon skin-side down over high heat until crispy. Turn each one and reduce the heat to medium, allowing the salmon to gently cook through for another 3-4 minutes. Squeeze one of the lime halves over the salmon and remove the pan from the heat.
- In the meantime, combine the pea shoots, watercress, coriander and mint in a bowl and squeeze the second half of the lime over the salad. Add the sesame oil and toss well to coat. Divide the salad between two bowls.
- Serve the salmon and the sliced avocado with the salad and garnish the dish with the drained, quick-pickled red onions. Finish with a crumbling of feta and the toasted pumpkin seeds. Lush!
A new-and-improved version of this delicious recipe features in my cookbook KETO KITCHEN.
For those on INSTAGRAM, tag me @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Keep scrolling: you can PIN this recipe for later, see detailed macros and browse other recipes in this category. You can also drop me a comment if you have any questions about this recipe. I will do my best to reply as quickly as possible. Monya xxx
FOR READERS OUTSIDE THE UK: Missing anything you might need? The links on this website are directed at the UK market and show the products I use here. However, you can get everything you might need from Amazon.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories 547Kcal / 2288kJ
See all the Seafood dishes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macro calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.