Bless his socks, this is what Funnyman makes me when I need a night off from cooking and he isn’t treating me with his Lamb Ribs (…that man loves his black pepper!) He has perfected it over the years and has implemented little tricks that I shared with him (like the importance of a meat thermometer probe), so I simply love it! There isn’t much to it, its chicken thighs covered in (it’s body weight of) freshly ground black pepper prior to cooking. A quick fry on the skin-side down to speed up the crisping of the fat, then it’s finished in the oven, skin-side up (an optional step). The accompanying sauce is a mix of mayo and Sriracha and I have included it in the macros because that’s how we enjoy it. If you prefer a ‘stricter / cleaner’ keto dip, simply stir homemade chili paste into your homemade mayo. THIS RECIPE IS ACCOMPANIED WITH A VIDEO. (Scroll down to see it, and be sure to watch the blooper reel Funnyman slips in at the end!)
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 2g | Fat 47g | Protein 29g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
*IN THE NEWS*: My cookbook KETO KITCHEN (published by Kyle Books, London) is now available to purchase in paperback or e-book. Click here to read more about where it can be purchased (where ever you are in the world), plus some of the fantastic reviews that have been coming in!
“I want you to achieve the best outcome with all the recipes on Fats of Life. If you haven’t already done so, please read the RECIPE SUCCESS page which is packed with handy tips and advice. Happy Cooking, everyone!” – Monya
Mark's Famous Pepper Chicken
- 4 large chicken thighs, skin-on
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp lard
- 80 g (2.8 oz) mayonnaise
- 30 g (1.1 oz) Sriracha
- pink Himalayan salt, or sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan oven). This is 200°C for conventional ovens (or 400°F / gas mark 6).
- Generously grind fresh black pepper on all sides of the chicken thighs.
- Melt the lard in a pan and brown the chicken skin-side down until golden and crispy. Transfer the chicken to a tray (skin-side up) and probe the thickest part of one of the thighs with a meat thermometer probe. This step is optional, you could also simply pop it straight into the oven (skin side-up).
- Cook in the oven until the thermometer reads 72°C / 160°F, approximately 30-35 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the mayonnaise and the Sriracha in a small bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and season with pink Himalayan salt or sea salt flakes. Serve with the Sriracha-mayo. Heavenly…
Watch the video (... with blooper reel!)
UK READERS: Missing anything you might need? The green links on the recipe above are directed at the global Amazon market and will auto-direct to your country (if you are not in the USA) and possibly show up an incorrect product. However, the image ads below are especially targeted at UK readers, and will link to the products I use and recommend.
Calories 550Kcal / 2301kJ
See all the Poultry recipes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macro calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.