Aaah, chicken livers… you either love ‘em or hate ‘em. I must admit though, I dated two blokes in my life that wouldn’t touch them – until they tried mine. I don’t want to blow smoke up my own ass, but the one was completely converted, and I am married to the other one who puts in formal requests for me to make this dish. I think it’s the texture of the livers that bother people, so I get them browned first, then remove them from the pan, only to add them later after the sauce has thickened and reduced so they can gently cook through. This prevents them over-cooking and ‘crumbling’. They are also a fantastic source of iron.
For those that love Nando’s® (er, who doesn’t?), they sell a killer hot sauce which is my go-to for this recipe (#DirtyKeto) and is available at most supermarkets in the UK. Add a dollop of sour cream, garnish with parsley and tuck into your bowl with a spoon – nothing else needed. If you are cooking for more people, double up the recipe using the plugin feature and increase your cooking time to reduce the sauce. In fact, I suggest you make a double batch anyway because its simply glorious the next day after all those flavours settle in and get to know each other. At 12g carbs per serving, you may want to tuck into this after a fast or save it as a weekend treat.
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 12g | Fat 33g | Protein 24g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
*IN THE NEWS*: My cookbook KETO KITCHEN (published by Kyle Books, London) is now available to purchase in paperback or e-book. Click here to read more about where it can be purchased (where ever you are in the world), plus some of the fantastic reviews that have been coming in!
“I want you to achieve the best outcome with all the recipes on Fats of Life. If you haven’t already done so, please read the RECIPE SUCCESS page which is packed with handy tips and advice. Happy Cooking, everyone!” – Monya
Low carb Peri-Peri Chicken Livers
- 300 g (10.6 oz) chicken livers, trimmed weight
- 1 1/2 TB coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow pepper, core removed and chopped small
- 150 g (5.3 oz) mushrooms, quartered
- 20 g (0.7 oz) pickled Jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1/2 tin chopped / crushed tomatoes
- 65 g (2.3 oz) Nando’s® Peri-Peri Hot Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Swerve® sweetener, confectioners
- 65 g (2.3 oz) sour cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- Drain the chicken livers in a colander to remove excess liquid from the packaging. Trim excess sinew, then chop into 2cm / 1-inch pieces. (The weight indicated in the ingredients list should be your yield after trimming.)
- Heat one tablespoon coconut oil in a large pan over high heat and brown the chicken livers until caramelised and only slightly pink on the inside (test one piece to check), this takes approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove the livers from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining coconut oil to the same pan and gently cook the yellow peppers over low heat to soften. Once softened, add the mushrooms and jalapenos and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, increasing the heat to allow the mushrooms to caramelise. Stir continuously to avoid the mixture catching.
- Add the chopped tomatoes add the Nando’s® Peri-Peri hot sauce, and reduce the heat to low, simmering gently for 5-7 minutes until the sauce is starting to reduce.
- Return the chicken livers to the pan and continue to cook, stirring regularly for another 5-7 minutes until the livers have completely cooked through and the sauce has thickened completely. Stir in the sweetener, followed by three-quarters of the sour cream.
- Stir to warm the sour cream through, then remove the pan from the heat. Season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then divide between 2 bowls. Add a dollop of the remaining sour cream on each and scatter over plenty of chopped parsley.
A new-and-improved version of this delicious recipe features in my cookbook KETO KITCHEN.
For those on INSTAGRAM, tag me @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Keep scrolling: you can PIN this recipe for later, see detailed macros and browse other recipes in this category. I have disabled the print option for my recipes (doing my bit to save the trees), so be sure to bookmark this page in your browser for future reference.
UK READERS: Missing anything you might need? The green links on the recipe above are directed at the global Amazon market and will auto-direct to your country (if you are not in the USA) and possibly show up an incorrect product. However, the image ads below are especially targeted at UK readers, and will link to the products I use and recommend.
Calories 428Kcal / 1791kJ
Eggs (may be found in some brands of sour cream - check label)
See all the Meals to Break a Fast on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macro calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.