While I simply love meat, a lot of my attention is focussed on the accompanying side dishes. Think further than frozen vegetables (gag!), because there are a multitude of things you could do with salads or cooked fresh vegetables making them interesting and fun. Here is one that is packed with flavour and can be served warm – or as a cool salad at your next braai (BBQ). Be sure to also check out the other Side Dish ideas on the site.
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 5.3g | Fat 3.8g | Protein 12g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Exciting news for foodies: Monya’s cookbook KETO KITCHEN (published by Kyle Books, London 2020) is coming to the market this summer. Its currently available to pre-order on Amazon.
“I want you to achieve the best outcome with all the recipes on Fats of Life. If you haven’t already done so, please read the RECIPE SUCCESS page which is packed with handy tips and advice. I also send a short e-blast at the end of every month, sign up here to ensure you never miss a recipe. If you loved the recipe and want to show your appreciation to me directly, you can do so by clicking here. Happy Cooking, everyone!” – Monya
Greens with Crackling Crumb (Low carb)
- Make the dressing by whisking together buttermilk, lemon juice and zest, tarragon and garlic paste. Season with salt and set aside.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the broccolini, cooking for about 90 seconds. Add the asparagus to the same pan and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the greens with tongs or a slotted spoon and place onto a tray lined with kitchen paper. Place another sheet of kitchen paper on top to absorb excess moisture.
- Serve the greens with the dressing spooned over and scatter over the blitzed pork scratchings, capers and chopped parsley. Season with pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper.
UK READERS: Missing anything you might need? The green links on the recipe above are directed at the global Amazon market and will auto-direct to your country (if you are not in the USA) and possibly show up an incorrect product. However, the image ads below are especially targeted at UK readers, and will link to the products I use and recommend.
Calories 101Kcal / 423kJ
Wheat (found in store-bought scratchings)
Soya (found in store-bought scratchings)
See all the Side dishes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site are meticulously calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The author, Monya Kilian Palmer is trained in using this superior software in order to provide you accurate data. The author is not a medical professional and this website has been designed only to provide you with recipes to suit the keto lifestyle you have chosen and discussed with your GP. The macros calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on Monya’s weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count for you.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, I am part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products I recommend on this page are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.