Now that you have waxed the Fathead Dough recipe (and hopefully tried my Fathead Pizzas, Ham & Gruyere Rolls or Mini Keto Rosemary Rolls), why not shake things up a bit and try a ‘calzone’? I decided on a vegetarian filling and made a spinach, mushroom and ricotta calzone. This is a very rich dish, so one calzone will easily feed two people with a lovely fresh salad on the side…
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 9.6g | Fat 76g | Protein 48g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Fats of Life® is a blog that I run as a hobby, but did you know that I am also the author of two cookbooks? My first book Keto Kitchen (published by Kyle Books in 2020) is available worldwide (and has remained one of the best-selling low carb cookbooks in the UK). My second book Lazy Keto Kitchen (coming mid-year, 2021) is currently available to pre-order.
“I want you to achieve the best outcome with all the recipes on Fats of Life. If you haven’t already done so, please read the RECIPE SUCCESS page which is packed with handy tips and advice. Happy Cooking, everyone!” – Monya
Fathead Calzone with Spinach and Ricotta (V)
For the filling
- 1/2 TB unsalted butter
- 130 g (4.6 oz) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 80 g (2.8 oz) baby spinach
- 80 g (2.8 oz) ricotta cheese
- 50 g (1.8 oz) sour cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan oven). This is 220°C for conventional ovens (or 425°F / gas mark 7).
- Start by making the filling: have all your ingredients ready.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan or wok and fry the mushrooms until softened. Do not be tempted to add more oil or fat, the mushrooms will soon release their own moisture. Add the garlic and cook stirring regularly.
- Add the baby spinach and cook until the spinach wilts into the mixture. Stir continuously to avoid the garlic burning.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the ricotta and sour cream. Cook until the mixture thickens up. This doesn't take long, a minute at most.
- Finely slice the basil leaves and stir into the mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside (off the heat) while you make the fathead crust.
- For the fathead crust, combine the almond flour, salt and garlic powder in a bowl. Whisk the egg well in a separate bowl.
- Finely chop the fresh mozzarella into small pieces. (We melt it anyway, but in this way you can ensure even melting.) IMPORTANT NOTE: I have also made this recipe using store-bought, ready-grated mozzarella. It works just the same (if not better). However, those usually include a small amount of potato starch, so using it will depend how strict you are on keto.
- Place the mozzarella into a wide-bottomed, microwave-friendly bowl. Add the cream cheese. This is what you should have ready:
- Place the bowl of cheese in the microwave for 1 min 20 seconds, until the cheese completely melts. (IMPORTANT: If using fresh mozzarella, tip out any excess liquid which separates from the melted cheese as this will make your mixture far too runny. You won't have this issue when using store-bought ready-grated mozzarella). Immediately tip the melted cheese into the bowl of almond flour mix and use a wooden spoon to vigorously combine the mixture.
- Add the whisked egg and continue to mix until the mixture comes together as a sticky dough. It may seem like its not coming together - but it will.
- Allow to cool slightly , then tip the ball of dough between two sheets of baking parchment paper.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out into a large circular shape. Do not roll it too thin.
- Peel off the top layer of parchment. Do not be alarmed if some 'stringy' bits pull away. The 'dough' is easily manipulated and you can simply pinch pieces closed or press them back in.
- Scoop the seasoned spinach and ricotta mixture onto the bottom half of your circle of 'dough'.
- Clutching the top two corners of parchment, fold the calzone in half, pinching closed the edges.
- Peel the parchment from the top of the calzone and tear away the pieces around the edges. Very carefully lift the calzone (which will still have the parchment underneath) and place onto a baking sheet or roasting tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through. (When opening the oven door to rotate the tray, do so quickly to avoid any oven heat loss.)
- Serve immediately.. delicious with some hot sauce!
For those on INSTAGRAM, tag me @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Keep scrolling: you can PIN this recipe for later, see detailed macros and browse other recipes in this category. You can also drop me a comment if you have any questions about this recipe. I will do my best to reply as quickly as possible. Monya xxx
FOR READERS OUTSIDE THE UK: Missing anything you might need? The links on this website are directed at the UK market and show the products I use here. However, you can get everything you might need from Amazon.
Nutritional Information per serving (1/2 calzone)
Calories 899Kcal / 3761kJ
See all the Fathead-dough-inspired recipes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macro calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.