Just because you have given up flour doesn’t mean you can’t crumb-and-fry food anymore! I simply combined blitzed lean pork crackling with nutritional yeast flakes and fried as normal. Absolutely incredible flavours and perfect to have on the side of your bunless burger. Leaner crackling is preferred for this recipe, so I used Mr Porky’s Crispy Pork Strips (a UK product) which I have seen available at Tesco and Sainsbury’s here in the UK. If you like the idea of crumbing-and-frying this way, check out the Keto Jalapeno Poppers recipe.
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 5.5g | Fat 31g | Protein 16g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
*IN THE NEWS*: My cookbook KETO KITCHEN (published by Kyle Books, London) is now available to purchase in paperback or e-book. Click here to read more about where it can be purchased (where ever you are in the world), plus some of the fantastic reviews that have been coming in!
“I want you to achieve the best outcome with all the recipes on Fats of Life. If you haven’t already done so, please read the RECIPE SUCCESS page which is packed with handy tips and advice. Happy Cooking, everyone!” – Monya
Keto Crumbed Onion Rings
- Using the leanest pork scratchings you can find, (for my UK readers, see the headnote for my preferred scratchings for in this recipe) blitz the scratchings in a mini food processor, then tip out into a wide-bottomed bowl. Stir in the nutritional yeast flakes until well combined.
- With the coconut flour in one bowl and the beaten egg in a second bowl, position the bowl with the crackling mixture third in line.
- Heat the coconut oil on high heat. When hot, dip a few onion rings in the coconut flour, then dip into the beaten egg. Once the excess egg has dripped off, roll the onion rings into the pork crumb mixture.
- Fry the rings in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes, then remove using a slotted spoon and place on a tray lined with kitchen paper to drain the excess grease. (It’s best to work in batches to avoid over-crowding the pan of oil.)
- Season with pink Himalayan salt and pepper immediately. Continue until all the onion rings have been cooked.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley if you are feeling fancy.
For those on INSTAGRAM, tag me @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Keep scrolling: you can PIN this recipe for later, see detailed macros and browse other recipes in this category. I have disabled the print option for my recipes (doing my bit to save the trees), so be sure to bookmark this page in your browser for future reference.
UK READERS: Missing anything you might need? The green links on the recipe above are directed at the global Amazon market and will auto-direct to your country (if you are not in the USA) and possibly show up an incorrect product. However, the image ads below are especially targeted at UK readers, and will link to the products I use and recommend.
Calories 363Kcal / 1519kJ
Wheat (may be found in pork scratchings - check label)
Soya (may be found in pork scratchings - check label)
See all the Light Meals / Appetisers on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macro calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.