Funnyman loves my keto yorkshire puddings and I love pork sausages, so creating a low carb ‘Toad in the Hole’ seemed inevitable. Traditionally, Toad in the Hole is served with some form of gravy, but we enjoyed this as a summer meal, so I scattered over my favourite (super-easy) homemade relish which cuts through the richness perfectly. Made from tomatoes and garlic, the fresh Tomato and Garlic relish adds the perfect amount of sweetness, flavour and juice to every mouthful. I hope you love it as much as we do!
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 12g | Fat 49g | Protein 12g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Fats of Life® is a blog I run as a hobby. I love spending time on it, but did you know that I am also the author of two best-selling cookbooks? KETO KITCHEN (2020) and LAZY KETO KITCHEN (2021) – both available worldwide and very well-priced. I have a third book on the way: BUDGET KETO KITCHEN, (coming mid-2022).
Perhaps its time to start building up your Keto Kitchen collection if you have not already done so. Not only will my books make beautiful Christmas stocking fillers for loved ones interested in a low carb lifestyle, but you could simply treat YOURSELF! Your family (whether they live keto or not) will not be disappointed with all your exciting, delicious creations!
“Take a peak in My Keto Pantry, which shows the preferred brands of ‘special’ ingredients I use. Be sure to also sign up to my newsletter where I send a monthly recap (ensuring you never miss a new recipe!)” – Monya
Toad in the Hole (Low carb)
- 6 pork sausages
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 15 g (0.5 oz) lard
- 75 g (2.7 oz) extra-fine almond flour
- 4 sachets arrowroot powder, (4 TB / 32g / 1.1oz)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- generous pinch salt
- 3 large eggs
- 55 g (1.9 oz) double cream
- 150 g (5.3 oz) unsweetened almond milk
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- sea salt flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh Tomato and Garlic Relish, Fats of Life recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan oven). This is 200°C for conventional ovens (or 400°F / gas mark 6).
- Place the pork sausages into a lined tray and drizzle a little olive oil over. Toss well to evenly coat and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the lard to the dish you will be using to create the dish. Place onto a tray for easier removal. Set aside for now.
- In one bowl, whisk together the extra-fine almond flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder, garlic powder, mustard powder and a generous pinch of salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk and double cream.
- Add the wet mix to the flour mix and whisk well to combine. Transfer the mixture to a mini food processor / food chopper and blitz until completely smooth. Alternatively, you could use a hand blender. As long as the mixture is as free of lumps as possible. Set aside until the sausages have finished their time in the oven.
- Once the sausages have finished their time in the oven, remove them from the tray using tongs and set aside. It doesn't matter too much if they aren't cooked through, but its a great head start.
- Place the dish (of lard) into the oven for 5 minutes to melt and heat the lard.
- After the 5 minutes, remove the dish (without turning the oven off) and pour the mixture into the dish. Place the sausages into the dish. Bear in mind that this dish serves 4, so place the sausages in such a way that slicing and serving will ensure everyone gets equal amounts of delicious sausage.
- Place the tray into the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the oven quickly and rotate the tray (just a habit I have) and then reduce the oven to 160°C (fan oven). This is 180°C for conventional ovens (or 350°F / gas mark 4).
- Cook at this temperature for another 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, turn the oven off completely and leave the dish in the oven for another 5 minutes to gently finish cooking through.
- Season with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley. Delicious with Fresh Tomato and Garlic Relish.
For those on INSTAGRAM, tag me @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Keep scrolling: you can PIN this recipe for later, see detailed macros and browse other recipes in this category. You can also drop me a comment if you have any questions about this recipe. I will do my best to reply as quickly as possible. Monya xxx
FOR READERS OUTSIDE THE UK: Missing anything you might need? The links on this website are directed at the UK market and show the products I use here. However, you can get everything you might need from Amazon.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories 585Kcal / 2448kJ
See all the Pork Recipes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macro calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.