This is a basic, undressed ‘gnocchi’ recipe loosely based on the fathead dough concept. It looks a little rustic, but it does the job! It will need to be served with a sauce and some great ideas include Smoked Bacon & Tomato or Spinach and Pesto. The gnocchi itself is incredibly filling, so this recipe could serves 2 people as a main meal, or you could serve it as 4 lighter meals / side dishes then halve the macros accordingly. If you prefer lighter, ‘pillowy’ gnocchi pieces, you may like my nut-free version – Fried Keto Gnocchi (that version is only 1.2g carbs per serving) where I don’t feature almond flour and fry the little delicate pieces after cooking. Try both versions and stick to your favourite using your favourite sauces.
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 5.6g | Fat 58g | Protein 27g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- Combine the extra-fine almond flour, garlic powder and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and egg yolk well. In a separate, wide-bottomed bowl, add the grated mozzarella and cream cheese. This is what you should have ready:
- Place the bowl of cheese in the microwave, and heat on high for 1 min 20 seconds. In the meantime, tip the almond flour mixture into a mini food processor.
- Once the cheese has melted, immediately add to the food processor and blitz until the mixture starts coming together. Don't worry if it seems like it doesn't - it will. You may need stop and 'detangle' the stringy mozzarella from the blades.
- Tip in the whisked egg mix and blitz until you have a thick, well-combined dough.
- Tip the mixture onto a sheet of parchment paper and shape into a smooth ball. Cover the ball of dough with another sheet of parchment paper and allow to cool for a minute. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough flatter, approximately. Remove the top sheet of parchment and use a pizza cutter to trim the dough into smaller pieces as shown.
- Pinching one-to-two 'sliced pieces' at a time, roll into a little ball and set aside. If it helps, each of my gnocchi pieces weighed 11g/0.4oz each. Once they have all been done, pour a little olive oil into the palm of your hand and roll each pieces into a log-shape, as shown. Use a fork to gently press into each one.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a simmer (not an aggressive boil). Tip in the gnocchi and cook until they start to rise to the surface and float. Test one to see if you are happy (they don't need very long, it's really just the egg that needs cooking). Remove with a large strainer and serve immediately.
- If your accompanying sauce is not quite ready yet, drizzle a little olive oil over your gnocchi to prevent the pieces from sticking together - and set aside to keep warm.
- Scroll down to PIN this recipe - and don't forget to tag me on Instagram @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Photographs and recipes on FATS OF LIFE® are copyright © Monya Kilian Palmer.
Calories 650Kcal / 2720kJ
See all the Fathead Dough-inspired recipes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site are meticulously calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The author, Monya Kilian Palmer is trained in using this superior software in order to provide you accurate data. The author is not a medical professional and this website has been designed only to provide you with recipes to suit the keto lifestyle you have chosen and discussed with your GP. The macros calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on Monya’s weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count for you.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, I am part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products I recommend on this page are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Follow me on your preferred social media channel: