The people that pack rock-hard, under-ripe avocados into “ripe and ready” packaging are the first people I will come back and haunt one day! If you feel the same way, here is a great way to use up avocados that you have already sliced up, but are clearly not ready to eat. Simply pickle them in a clean jar along with vinegar, water and some other bits! I used mustard seeds, black peppercorns, coriander and chillies – but you can play around with other herbs and whole spices that will add a little flavour to your pickling liquid. I used one large avocado for this recipe and based the macros on this serving two people as a snack or condiment, so adjust accordingly. You could also dice up the pickled avo slices and use them in salads or Ceviche, like we did. Enjoy!
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 1.5g | Fat 15g | Protein 1.5g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
DID YOU KNOW that I am also the author of two cookbooks! My first book KETO KITCHEN (published by Kyle Books London, 2020) is available worldwide and has consistently remained one of the best-selling low carb cookbooks in the UK. My second book LAZY KETO KITCHEN (2021) is coming out this summer, and is now available to pre-order.
“I want you to achieve the best outcome with all the recipes on Fats of Life. If you haven’t already done so, please read the RECIPE SUCCESS page which is packed with handy tips and advice. Happy Cooking, everyone!” – Monya
Pickled Avocado (Keto)
- 130 g (4.6 oz) hot water
- 1 TB sea salt flakes
- 130 g (4.6 oz) white wine vinegar
- 2 chillies, (optional)
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- small handful coriander, leaves and stalks
- 1 large under-ripe avocado
- Place the hot water into a bowl and add the salt, stirring until the salt dissolves. Add the vinegar, chillies, mustard seeds and black peppercorns and set aside to cool. Once cool, add the coriander.
- Peel and slice the avocado and place inside a suitably-sized clean jar. Pour the mixture into the jar along with all the little bits. The pickling mixture should cover the avocado.
- Seal the jar and store in the fridge for at least 3 hours before using. We left ours overnight - and it was delicious, so I recommend this.
- Dice up and add to salads (or Ceviche, like we did), or simply tuck in, as is.
For those on INSTAGRAM, tag me @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Keep scrolling: you can PIN this recipe for later, see detailed macros and browse other recipes in this category. You can also drop me a comment if you have any questions about this recipe. I will do my best to reply as quickly as possible. Monya xxx
FOR READERS OUTSIDE THE UK: Missing anything you might need? The links on this website are directed at the UK market and show the products I use here. However, you can get everything you might need from Amazon.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories 144Kcal / 602kJ
See all the Sauces & Condiments on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macro calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.