I know summer is still a while away here up north, but this is a great idea for you to bookmark if you are cooking for one and can’t be bothered with an accompanying sauce or cooking up vegetables. After frying the steak to perfection (I hope your perfection is the same as my perfection: medium-rare) and leaving it to rest, I simply deglazed the pan with lemon juice and used the zingy rendered juices from the pan (after cooling a little) and tossed it with wild rocket (arugula). The steak tagliata only requires a generous scattering of salt flakes and finely shaved Parmesan. If you have a microplane, finely grate a little lemon zest into the salad too. Winner winner singleton’s dinner!
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 0g | Fat 30g | Protein 35g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Exciting news for foodies: Monya’s cookbook KETO KITCHEN (published by Kyle Books, London 2020) is coming to the market this summer. Its currently available to pre-order on Amazon.
“I want you to achieve the best outcome with all the recipes on Fats of Life. If you haven’t already done so, please read the RECIPE SUCCESS page which is packed with handy tips and advice. I also send a short e-blast at the end of every month, sign up here to ensure you never miss a recipe. If you loved the recipe and want to show your appreciation to me directly, you can do so by clicking here. Happy Cooking, everyone!” – Monya
Steak Tagliata (Keto)
- Heat the lard in a pan. Season the steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Once the pan is smoking hot, cook the steak, flipping every 20 seconds (just like Heston taught us).
- This ensures a good crust (thanks to the Maillard Reaction) on both sides. (I cooked mine for 3.5- 4 minutes and you can see from the main pic how beautifully pink it is on the inside while having a lovely crust on the outside.)
- Remove the steak from the pan and set aside to rest for at least 5 minutes. The residual heat will continue to raise the internal temperature of the steak.
- While the steak is resting, immediately squeeze the lemon into the hot pan (catching any pips) and add the tablespoon olive oil. However, do NOT return the pan to the heat - you are just trying to get all the juices. Allow to cool slightly.
- Drizzle this acidic juice from the pan into a bowl of rocket. Use clean hands to gently toss the rocket until evenly coated. Place onto a serving plate.
- Once the steak has rested, slice and serve on top of the dressed rocket. Scatter over sea salt flakes, then use a small, sharp knife or vegetable peeler to thinly shave over Parmesan cheese.
UK READERS: Missing anything you might need? The green links on the recipe above are directed at the global Amazon market and will auto-direct to your country (if you are not in the USA) and possibly show up an incorrect product. However, the image ads below are especially targeted at UK readers, and will link to the products I use and recommend.
Calories 410Kcal / 1715kJ
See all the Beef & Lamb recipes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site are meticulously calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The author, Monya Kilian Palmer is trained in using this superior software in order to provide you accurate data. The author is not a medical professional and this website has been designed only to provide you with recipes to suit the keto lifestyle you have chosen and discussed with your GP. The macros calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on Monya’s weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count for you.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, I am part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products I recommend on this page are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.