I know, I know …. how flipping cute is this breakfast? I bought several mini cast-iron pans (13cm / 5-in diameter) just so that I can make this breakfast for house guests. My version of Shakshuka is super simple: the cooked tomatoes are spiced with ground cumin, cayenne and smoked paprika, then an egg is cracked into the centre and baked to perfection. To finish, I used smoked sea salt flakes to season. TIP: These would be great served with my Keto Breakfast Muffins. Enjoy your brunch!
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 7.9g | Fat 13g | Protein 9.4g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
*IN THE NEWS*: My cookbook KETO KITCHEN (published by Kyle Books, London) is now available to purchase in paperback or e-book. Click here to read more about where it can be purchased (where ever you are in the world), plus some of the fantastic reviews that have been coming in!
“I want you to achieve the best outcome with all the recipes on Fats of Life. If you haven’t already done so, please read the RECIPE SUCCESS page which is packed with handy tips and advice. Happy Cooking, everyone!” – Monya
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan oven). This is 200°C for conventional ovens (or 400°F / gas mark 6).
- Heat the butter in a pan on the stove top. Add the onions and cook until completely softened and partially caramelised. Add the cumin, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika and stir well, while cooking for an additional 30-45 seconds.
- Tip in the can of chopped tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat until the all liquid has cooked out, approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Depending on what kind of pan you want to use (I had two cute cast-iron pans), pour the tomato mixture into an oven-friendly pan, and make a hole in the centre. Crack an egg into each hole and place the pans onto a large serving tray (this makes it safe and easy to remove.) Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the egg whites are completely opaque.
- Season with smoked sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Scatter over freshly chopped parsley - and be mindful that the little pans are HOT. Enjoy!
A new-and-improved version of this delicious recipe features in my cookbook KETO KITCHEN.
For those on INSTAGRAM, tag me @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Keep scrolling: you can PIN this recipe for later, see detailed macros and browse other recipes in this category. I have disabled the print option for my recipes (doing my bit to save the trees), so be sure to bookmark this page in your browser for future reference.
UK READERS: Missing anything you might need? The green links on the recipe above are directed at the global Amazon market and will auto-direct to your country (if you are not in the USA) and possibly show up an incorrect product. However, the image ads below are especially targeted at UK readers, and will link to the products I use and recommend.
Calories 183Kcal / 766kJ
See all the Breakfast recipes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macro calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.