This recipe doesn’t require a long-winded head note because it is so fabulous! It’s SO simple, SO tasty and I bet your kids will love it! This recipe yields 4 servings and would go well with a lovely, fresh green salad on the side. You could double the recipe to serve 8 (using the handy plug-in below) – and use a larger casserole, but please be sure to use Gruyere cheese, as I am not sure Cheddar or any other cheese would pack the same punch. It’s one of my favourites. (I used 97% Pork Sausages (Tesco Finest brand) for this recipe: With those, there is no added wheat/gluten. However, there is a small amount of potato starch present, but honestly I am fine with that for occasional consumption. It’s only 1.5g carbs per TWO fat, beautiful pork sausages!) THIS RECIPE IS ACCOMPANIED WITH A VIDEO. (Scroll down to see it, and be sure to watch the blooper reel Funnyman slips in at the end!)
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 6.6g | Fat 31g | Protein 25g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Fats of Life® is a blog I run as a hobby. I love spending time on it, but did you know that I am also the author of two best-selling cookbooks? KETO KITCHEN (2020) and LAZY KETO KITCHEN (2021) – both available worldwide and very well-priced. I have a third book on the way: BUDGET KETO KITCHEN, (coming mid-2022).
Perhaps its time to start building up your Keto Kitchen collection if you have not already done so. Not only will my books make beautiful Christmas stocking fillers for loved ones interested in a low carb lifestyle, but you could simply treat YOURSELF! Your family (whether they live keto or not) will not be disappointed with all your exciting, delicious creations!
“Take a peak in My Keto Pantry, which shows the preferred brands of ‘special’ ingredients I use. Be sure to also sign up to my newsletter where I send a monthly recap (ensuring you never miss a new recipe!)” – Monya
Sausage and Cauliflower Bake (Low carb)
- 650 g (22.9 oz) cauliflower florets
- 85 g (3 oz) full-fat cream cheese (soft cheese)
- salt and white pepper
- 6 pork sausages, gluten-free
- 55 g (1.9 oz) Gruyere cheese, finely grated
- pink Himalayan salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp chives, snipped to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan oven). This is 220°C for conventional ovens (or 425°F / gas mark 7).
- Cook the cauliflower florets in a large pot of salted, boiling water on the stove top until completely tender and very soft. Drain well in a colander and leave to steam off for a few minutes. (Failing to do this may result in a watery mixture after mashing.) Tip the cauliflower into a bowl or return to the dry pan (wiped clean) and add the cream cheese. Mash well, then season generously with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- In the meantime, place the sausages in a greased roasting dish and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes until coloured and crispy.
- Once the sausages have finished cooking, remove them from the oven (do not turn the oven off) and allow to cool slightly before chopping into smaller pieces. Do not discard any rendered fat: instead pour the fats that ran from the sausages into the mashed cauliflower. Add the chopped sausages to the cauliflower and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into a suitable-sized casserole dish (mine was 15 x 20cm and 5 cm deep / 6 x 8-in and 2-in deep) and cover with the grated Gruyere.
- Bake until the cheese is crispy, approximately 15-20 minutes. (You can increase the oven temperature towards the end to get the cheese to really 'gratin'.)
- Season with pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper and garnish with plenty of freshly chopped chives.
Watch the video (... with blooper reel!)
FOR READERS OUTSIDE THE UK: Missing anything you might need? The links on this website are directed at the UK market and show the products I use here. However, you can get everything you might need from Amazon.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories 407Kcal / 1703kJ
Eggs (may be found in some brands of cream cheese - check label)
Sulphites (may be found in some pork sausages - check label)
See all the Low-carb Dinner recipes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site have been manually and carefully calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The macros calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on the author's weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count. The author is a chef - not a medical professional - and this website has been designed to provide you with recipe ideas to suit the low carb lifestyle you have discussed with your GP.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, Fats of Life is part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products recommended here are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - the author will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.