This recipe doesn’t require a long-winded head note because it is so fabulous! It’s SO simple, SO tasty and I bet your kids will love it! This recipe yields 3 servings and would go well with a lovely, fresh green salad on the side. You could double the recipe to serve 6 (using the handy plug-in below) – and use a larger casserole, but please be sure to use Gruyere cheese, as I am not sure Cheddar or any other cheese would pack the same punch. It’s one of my favourites. (I used 97% Pork Sausages (Tesco Finest brand) for this recipe: With those, there is no added wheat/gluten. However, there is a small amount of potato starch present, but honestly I am fine with that for occasional consumption. It’s only 1.5g carbs per TWO fat, beautiful pork sausages!)
– – – – – – PER SERVING – – – – – –
Carbs 6.6g | Fat 29g | Protein 23g
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Sausage and Cauliflower Bake (Low carb)
- 500 g (17.6 oz) cauliflower florets
- 65 g (2.3 oz) full-fat cream cheese
- salt and white pepper
- 4 pork sausages
- 40 g (1.4 oz) Gruyere cheese, finely grated
- pink Himalayan salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- chives, snipped to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan oven). This is 220°C for conventional ovens (or 425°F / gas mark 7).
- Cook the cauliflower florets in a large pot of salted, boiling water on the stove top until completely tender and very soft. Drain well in a colander and leave to steam off for a few minutes. (Failing to do this may result in a watery mixture after mashing.) Tip the cauliflower into a bowl or return to the dry pan (wiped clean) and add the cream cheese. Mash well, then season generously with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- In the meantime, place the sausages in a greased roasting dish and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes until coloured and crispy.
- Once the sausages have finished cooking, remove them from the oven (do not turn the oven off) and allow to cool slightly before chopping into smaller pieces. Do not discard any rendered fat: instead add a tablespoon of the rendered fat that ran from the sausages and stir into the mashed cauliflower. Add the chopped sausages to the cauliflower and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into a suitable-sized casserole dish (mine was 15 x 20cm and 5 cm deep / 6 x 8-in and 2-in deep) and cover with the grated Gruyere.
- Bake until the cheese is crispy, approximately 15-20 minutes. (You can increase the oven temperature towards the end to get the cheese to really 'gratin'.)
- Season with pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper and garnish with plenty of freshly chopped chives.
- Scroll down to PIN this recipe - and don't forget to tag me on Instagram @mkilianpalmer so we can all see your lovely creations! Photographs and recipes on FATS OF LIFE® are copyright © Monya Kilian Palmer.
Calories 380Kcal / 1590kJ
Eggs (may be found in some cream cheese)
Sulphites (may be found in some pork sausages)
See all the Low-carb Dinner recipes on Fats of Life:
Disclaimer: The nutritional analysis, macro and allergen breakdown of the recipes on this site are meticulously calculated using the cloud-based software NUTRITICS®. NUTRITICS® is fully approved by the relevant Trading Standards organizations and is EU and FDA-compliant. The author, Monya Kilian Palmer is trained in using this superior software in order to provide you accurate data. The author is not a medical professional and this website has been designed only to provide you with recipes to suit the keto lifestyle you have chosen and discussed with your GP. The macros calculations are provided as a courtesy to you based on Monya’s weighing of ingredients when creating the dishes. If Erythritol (a sugar polyol) has been used in any of the recipes, it has already been manually excluded from the final carbohydrate count for you.
Disclosure: Like many blogs, I am part of the Affiliates Program on Amazon. The links to the products I recommend on this page are affiliate links, meaning - at no additional cost to you - I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Follow me on your preferred social media channel: